Our grown-up gourmet version gets a flavor and health boost from fiber-rich kale, scallions, and fresh garlic. It also has a layer of smashed avocado for a touch of healthy unsaturated fat and two pieces of hearty whole wheat in place of the usual nutrient-void white. And rather than frying the sandwich in a wad of butter, this recipe calls for toasting it on a skillet coated in cooking spray—a lighter alternative that also keeps the bread from getting overly greasy.
MORE: Here's How To Make A Bread-Free Grilled Cheese
In the end, though, the main star of the show is the melty white cheddar cheese, which means it’s still a sandwich the entire family can get behind. Ready to cook one up yourself? Watch the video above to see how, and then scroll back down to get step-by-step instructions.
MORE: Here's A Whole Day Of Healthy Meals Using Only Packaged Foods
VEGGIE GRILLED CHEESE
1 can cooking spray
2 c baby kale
1 scallion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 slice white cheddar
1. COAT nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
2. ADD baby kale, scallion, and garlic.
3. SAUTÉ until kale wilts, 2 to 3 minutes, and then remove mixture from pan.
4. SMASH avocado and spread on 1 slice of whole wheat bread.
5. PLACE slice of white cheddar on top of avocado, and top with kale mixture and second slice of bread.
6. COAT skillet with spray and heat to medium.
7. COOK sandwich until bread is golden and cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
NUTRITION (per serving): 354 cal, 17 g pro, 34 g carb, 9 g fiber, 4 g sugars (3 g added sugars), 17 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 30 mg chol, 495 mg sodium